Kathy Bates has already undergone a battle with ovarian cancer nine years ago. But now she has been diagnosed with breast cancer and recently underwent a double mastectomy.



Bates, 64, made the revelation to People magazine and also claimed she will not be having chemotherapy or radiation.

"After much consideration, I underwent a double mastectomy," Bates told the magazine.


"Luckily, I don't have to undergo radiation or chemo. My family call me Kat because I always land on my feet and thankfully this is no exception" Bates claimed.



Bates has also assured she is going to be well following the diagnosis and subsequent procedure.

"My doctors have assured me I'm going to be around for a long time," Bates revealed. "I'm looking forward to getting back to work doing what I love to do."


It has to be noted that Kathy was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in 2003, but did not reveal that she had ever been ill until 2009. Bates decided to keep her illness a secret.




In an interview with Anderson Cooper Bates revealed she was advised to keep quiet about her ailment.


Bates quoted as saying: "I was advised to. I was contracted to go into a movie at that time:"Little Black Book" with Brittany Murphy who I miss very much, but my doctors at the time they had to get insurance approval and all of that, so I was very quiet about it. I had to go back to work right away and I guess part of it was just, I don't know how to explain it, nobody else really knows what you're going through except another cancer patient. Even though your family is supportive and surrounds you I just got to the point where I would go to chemo by myself and just really go through it on my own. I guess it's something I felt I had to face on my own."

Bates, who is famous for her award-winning role as villain Annie Wilkes in the 1990 film "Misery", stated that if she could have change things, she wouldn't have suffered silently.




Bates declared: "Now if I go through it again, I think I would be a lot more open about it. I admire people who have been open like Melissa Ethridge and women I see walking around facing it with out wigs and all of that stuff. I think I would be more courageous next time."


Terrible news to hear about Kathy Bates but her confidence and strength towards the disease are admirable! Hope that she will battle cancer for good!



Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!