1. It's the friends you can call up at 4 a.m. that matter.


2. Once a woman has forgiven her man, she must not reheat his sins for breakfast.

3. A man would prefer to come home to an unmade bed and a happy woman than to a neatly made bed and an angry woman.

4. Most women set out to try to change a man, and when they have changed him they do not like him.

5. Latins are tenderly enthusiastic. In Brazil they throw flowers at you. In Argentina they throw themselves.


6. Darling, the legs aren't so beautiful, I just know what to do with them.



7. A king, realizing his incompetence, can either delegate or abdicate his duties. A father can do neither. If only sons could see the paradox, they would understand the dilemma.

8. I am at heart a gentleman.

9. I had no desire to be a film actress, to always play somebody else, to be always beautiful with somebody constantly straightening out your every eyelash. It was always a big bother to me.

10. In America, sex is an obsession, in other parts of the world it's a fact.


11. Think twice before burdening a friend with a secret.




12. Superstitions are habits rather than beliefs.

13. To be completely woman you need a master, and in him a compass for your life. You need a man you can look up to and respect. If you dethrone him it's no wonder that you are discontented, and discontented women are not loved for long.

14. The average man is more interested in a woman who is interested in him than he is in a woman with beautiful legs.

15. I love quotations because it is a joy to find thoughts one might have, beautifully expressed with much authority by someone recognized wiser than oneself.


16. Glamour is what I sell, it's my stock in trade.

17. I dress for the image. Not for myself, not for the public, not for fashion, not for men.

18. The weak are more likely to make the strong weak than the strong are likely to make the weak strong.

19. I'm worth more dead than alive. Don't cry for me after I'm gone; cry for me now.

20. There is a gigantic difference between earning a great deal of money and being rich.

21. Without tenderness, a man is uninteresting. 


22. How do you know love is gone? If you said that you would be there at seven and you get there by nine, and he or she has not called the police yet - it's gone.


23. Grumbling is the death of love.



24. They want you to bring out your intestines.

25. Courage and grace are a formidable mixture. The only place to see it is in the bullring.

26. I am not a myth.

27. I never enjoyed working in a film.

28. If there is a supreme being, he's crazy.

29. The Germans and I no longer speak the same language.

30. When you're dead, you're dead. That's it.


31. There's something about an American soldier you can't explain. They're so grateful for anything, even a film actress coming to see them.


32. America took me into her bosom when there was no longer a country worthy of the name, but in my heart I am German - German in my soul.

33. The tears I have cried over Germany have dried. I have washed my face.

34. There comes a time when suddenly you realize that laughter is something you remember and that you were the one laughing.

35. Until they come to see us from their planet, I wait patiently. I hear them saying: Don't call us, we'll call you.

36. (The lover says:) How beautiful you are, now that you love me.


37. Do let him read the papers. But not while you accusingly tiptoe around the room, or perch much like a silent bird of prey on the edge of your most uncomfortable chair. (He will read them anyway, and he should read them, so let him choose his own good time.) Don't make a big exit. Just go. But kiss him quickly, before you go, otherwise he might think you are angry; he is used to suspecting he is doing something wrong.

38. Poor Elsa Lanchester. She left England because it already had a queen - Victoria. And she wanted to be queen of the Charles Laughton household, once he became a star, but he already had the role.

39. Gentleman. A man who buys two of the same morning paper from the doorman of his favorite nightclub when he leaves with his girl.

40. I was so happy! ... We would simply read and sleep, be tender ... God, how I loved this man!

41. I want to be alone.


42. I was raised almost entirely on turnips and potatoes, but I think that the turnips had more to do with the effect than the potatoes.

43. It is easier for the unattractive girl to live a life of modesty.

44. A home without a piano is waiting for something.

45. Anyone who was seduced wanted to be seduced.

46. Shoes are more important that suits and dresses. Good shoes give elegance to your entire appearance. Buy one pair of good shoes instead of three pairs of bad quality.

47. Your son isn't your son for life-if he is normal.

48. Tenderness is the greater proof of love than the most passionate of vows.

49. I can truthfully say that times were always bad as long as I can remember.

50. To lose your prejudices you must travel.


51. Variety is the spice of life only when it is not for its own sake.

52. If beautiful voices were sold over the counter prettily wrapped, women would buy them. Too bad they aren't.

53. I cringe every time I see a child eating a sandwich made out of American white bread. Give them whole wheat or rye if you love them.

54. The wishes of a mother for her child are few; they can be held in a baby's hand.

55. Youth is optimism and trust.

56. I do not think we have a "right" to happiness. If happiness happens, say thanks.

57. What remains is solitude.

58. I have a child and I have made a few people happy. That is all.

59. (On Anna Magnani) A force of nature.


60. (On Loretta Young) Every time she "sins", she builds a church. That's why there are so many Catholic churches in Hollywood.






61. A country without bordellos is like a house without bathrooms.

62. Gary Cooper was neither intelligent nor cultured. Just like the other actors, he was chosen for his physique, which, after all, was more important than an active brain.

63. (on Cary Grant) The champion.

64. (on Hildegard Knef) She's Mother Courage.


65. In Europe, it doesn't matter if you're a man or a woman - we make love with anyone we find attractive.


66. Careful grooming may take twenty years off a woman's age, but you can't fool a flight of stairs.




67. On Blaue Engel, Der (1930), I thought everything we were doing was awful. They kept a camera pointed here (groin). I was so young and dumb.

68. (1972 comment on Liza Minnelli) I'm annoyed when people keep comparing her to her mother (Judy Garland). She's nothing to do with her mother. She's a completely different woman. The film "Cabaret" is a great hit for her and that's all one wants.


69. There is a lack of dignity to film stardom.

70. (on Orson Welles) You should cross yourself when you say his name.

71. I'm not an actress - I'm a personality.



What do you think of Marlene Dietrich quotes?

Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!