1. A kiss is a lovely trick designed by nature to stop speech when words become superfluous.


2. Be yourself. The world worships the original.

3. I have no regrets. I wouldn't have lived my life the way I did if I was going to worry about what people were going to say.

4. Cancer victims who don't accept their fate, who don't learn to live with it, will only destroy what little time they have left.

5. I was the shyest human ever invented, but I had a lion inside me that wouldn't shut up!

6. I remember one day sitting at the pool and suddenly the tears were streaming down my cheeks. Why was I so unhappy? I had success. I had security. But it wasn't enough. I was exploding inside.


7. I have grown up alone. I've taken care of myself. I worked, earned money and was independent at 18.


8. Happiness is good health and a bad memory.



9. Time is shortening. But every day that I challenge this cancer and survive is a victory for me.

10. There are advantages to being a star though - you can always get a table in a full restaurant.

11. I do not know how to kiss, or I would kiss you. Where do the noses go?

12. It is not whether you really cry. It's whether the audience thinks you are crying.

13. If you took acting away from me, I'd stop breathing.

14. Until 45 I can play a woman in love. After 55 I can play grandmothers. But between those ten years, it is difficult for an actress.


15. I can do everything with ease on the stage, whereas in real life I feel too big and clumsy. So I didn't choose acting. It chose me.




16. I made so many films which were more important, but the only one people ever want to talk about is that one with Bogart.

17. Never again! I can see no reason for marriage - ever at all. I've had it. Three times is enough.

18. Success is getting what you want; happiness is wanting what you get.

19. I hope I never get so old I get religious.

20. I write scripts to serve as skeletons awaiting the flesh and sinew of images.


21. Kiss me. Kiss me as if it were the last time.




22. I'm no Sex goddess but I haven't spent my life in a tree... 


23. You must train your intuition - you must trust the small voice inside you which tells you exactly what to say, what to decide.

24. Film as dream, film as music. No art passes our conscience in the way film does, and goes directly to our feelings, deep down into the dark rooms of our souls.

25. I've gone from saint to whore and back to saint again, all in one lifetime.


26. I don't worry about it because we are all growing old. If I were the only one I would worry. But we're all in the same boat, and all of my friends are coming with me. We all go toward old age. How many years left we don't know. We just have to accept it.


27. Play it, Sam. Play "As Time Goes By".

28. I have had a wonderful life. I have never regretted what I did. I regret things I didn't do. All my life I've done things at a moment's notice. Those are the things I remember. I was given courage, a sense of adventure and a little bit of humor. I don't think anyone has the right to intrude in your life, but they do. I would like people to separate the actress and the woman.

29. The best way to keep young is to keep going in whatever it is that keeps you going. With me that's work, and a lot of it. And when a job is finished, relax and have fun.

30. I always felt guilty. My whole life.

31. We walk in circles, so limited by our own anxieties that we can no longer distinguish between true and false, between the gangster's whim and the purest ideal.


32. Thank you for your coffee, seignor. I shall miss that when we leave Casablanca.


33. I was not beautiful. When I went to Hollywood the beauties were people like Joan Crawford, Hedy Lamarr, Loretta Young. They were incredibly glamorous. I was always the girl next door.

34. I've never sought success in order to get fame and money; it's the talent and the passion that count in success.

35. Everything is worth precisely as much as a belch, the difference being that a belch is more satisfying.

36. Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day.

37. Keep it simple. Make a blank face and the music and the story will fill it in. (To her daughter Isabella Rossellini, on acting)

38. Acting is the best medicine in the world - if you're not feeling well, it goes away because you are busy thinking about something that isn't yourself. We actors are very fortunate people.


39. People didn't expect me to have emotions like other women.



40. I am happy I was born Swedish because this means having a tough education - at least it was in my time. But I couldn't live there, even when I was in my 20s. Sweden is too far from the rest of the world psychologically. There you feel confined on an island.

41. In Paris, when the picture came out (Casablanca (1942)), they weren't too pleased with it. They didn't like the political point of view. The picture was taken off immediately and was never sold to television. A while ago, it was brought in and opened in five theatres in Paris, as a new movie. They had a big gala opening where I appeared and people were absolutely crazy about it.

42. I have had my different husbands, my families. I am fond of them all and I visit them all. But deep inside me there is the feeling that I belong to show business.

43. I always wanted to do comedies but nobody discovered this until my old age. They think all Swedes are like (Greta Garbo).

44. Having a home, husband, and child ought to be enough for any woman's life. I mean, that's what we are meant for, isn't it? But still I think every day is a lost day. As if only half of me is alive. The other half is pressed down in a bag and suffocated.


45. (Cary Grant) is quite remarkable, you know. I think (Audrey Hepburn) is now too old for him, and in his next picture he will be making love to someone like Jane Fonda.

46. I work so hard before the camera and on the stage that I have neither the desire nor the energy to act in my private life.

47. "I won't do this movie because I don't believe the love story," she told Selznick. "The heroine is an intellectual woman, and an intellectual woman simply can't fall in love so deeply.

48. Getting old is like climbing a mountain; you get a little out of breath, but the view is much better!


49. I said: "I don't think I can give you that kind of emotion." And he (Hitchcock) sat there and said, "Ingrid, fake it!" Well, that was the best advice I've had in my whole life, because in all the years to come there were many directors who gave me what I thought were quite impossible instructions and many difficult things to do, and just when I was on the verge of starting to argue with them, I heard his voice coming to me through the air saying: "Ingrid, fake it!" It saved a lot of unpleasant situations and waste of time.

50. You don't act for money. You do it because you love it, because you must.

51. Success always occurs in private and failure in full public view.


What do you think of Ingrid Bergman quotes?

Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!