1. Want to continue to try and break the barrier between male and female. If you want to do that, that's fine. At our shows, it's like a Halloween party, which isn't a bad thing. I'd like to see more of it actually.




2. I'm not as skinny as I used to be, thank God. I'd look very strange if I was. I'm slim. I eat healthily because that's the way I prefer to eat and I'm sure it helps keep the weight off.

3. I love exercise but I find it boring doing the same thing all the time, so I fluctuate between going to the gym, doing Pilates and taking dance lessons.


4. I love Kate, I think she is a brilliant, brilliant model. (on Kate Moss)



5. Christianity, like most religions, works with fear. Sins can be confessed and you are clean again and can start to sin again without thinking about your old sins. We believe that people should ask themselves why they sinned. They should show some responsibility.

6. Confusion is the best form of communication. It's left to be unexplained.

7. We want to raise the children the parents aren't raising. I think we want to press individuality on people, though that doesn't necessarily mean being like us. But, it doesn't mean that if you come dressed like us that you aren't being yourself.


8. Yes, I care, but I think that people think we're contributing to the decline of America. I see us actually helping.


9. At sixteen, I was a funny, skinny little thing, all eyelashes and legs. And then, suddenly people told me it was gorgeous. I thought they had gone mad.





10. Can you imagine wot it was like. All the girls gettin' luvly figgers and me stayin' flat as a pancake? It was no fun, I tell you.

11. It's not what you'd call a figure, is it? (on her once famous physique)

12. I used to be a thing; I'm a person now.


13. I ate like a horse when I was younger, and not very sensibly, though no one ever believes that.





14. I was very, very underdeveloped for my age, I hated what I looked like, so I thought everyone had gone stark raving mad.

15. What happened to me in the Sixties was so major and so worldwide and so huge, there's no way I can repeat it. But in a way, I had nothing to do with it, it just took me over. It was bizarre, it was weird, and I had no control over it. I don't think anyone could have planned what happened to me.

16. The sixties were a time when ordinary people could do extraordinary things . . . !

17. I loved it - it was like a dream come true, a fairy story. It was certainly better than going to school, which was the only other thing I'd ever done. (on her career as a model)


18. They called me an "elongated matchstick", "the original million-dollar baby doll". You were supposed to look like Brenda Lee, very curvy and round, pointed breasts and pointed toe shoes. In all these pictures of me around twelve I'm wearing a brassiere with Kleenex stuffed in it...Most of the pictures of me taken then, I hate now.

19. I’m lumbered with the name Twiggy really. There was a point a few years back when I thought I’d stop using it and be Lesley Lawson. But every time I was written about, it would be "Lesley Lawson, otherwise known as Twiggy". So my husband quite rightly told me to stop worrying about it.


20. I didn’t really know about Marilyn Manson - it’s not my sort of music, not exactly the sort of thing I would curl up and listen to!








21. The Twiggy-Twiggy record! I met Twiggy Ramirez, this rather strange looking creature - very skinny and all in black leather. Once you got past the image, he was actually a really nice guy. (referring to her collaboration with Ramirez on the "Dead Man On Campus" (1998) soundtrack.)


22. I really remember very, very little of this one - probably just as well! We did this record just after I had been "discovered". We were inundated with offers from people saying "do this", "do that". To be honest, it was probably a bit of a mistake because I didn’t know what I was doing. It was interesting to see that I did that one early. I didn’t really start singing again until we did "The Boy Friend". (commenting on her album "Beautiful Dreams" (1967))

23. I do remember though that Ken was present throughout the recording of the album. (speaking of the soundtrack for Ken Russell’s film "The Boy Friend" (1971))


24. This was one of my favourite songs from "The Boy friend" score, it’s such a sweet song. If I remember right, the session was in London and to be quite honest, I was nervous. I had this big film coming up and of course, I had never been in a film, it was all extremely exciting. (referring to "A Room in Bloomsbury" (1971), with Christopher Gable)



What do you think of Twiggy's quotes?

Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!